Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Amazon Crime

I used Amazon for the first time in December to buy a few shortbread Christmas presents. At the time I innocently signed up for a free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime. I've just discovered that they've taken two £7.99 monthly payments from my account without me realising. Daylight robbery Hidden in the depths of the small print of this free 30 day offer is a tiny little statement that if you don't request cancellation within this 30 day period they will automatically start a standing order to take £7.99 per month until such time as you figure out a way of ending this arrangement - not so much Amazon Prime as Amazon Crime. If you don't notice that these payments are being made (as I didn't until I made a rare visit to my online bank account) the payments continue indefinitely. How many people have fallen into this trap, I wonder.


    

2 comments:

  1. It's all so clever and designed to trip you up. It happened to us and made us feel like idiots but in the end we carried on to use Netflix, Amazon music and so on. In the great scheme of things and bearing in mind how much this stuff costs we probably get our money's worth. It still rankles though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also was 'captured' by Amazon Prime, but after my husband showed me what it could do, I stayed with it and enjoyed some great films which were all free of charge. Then he discovered Netflix and we went with that..... Amazon Prime was dismantled from our bank account with ease, it just took a flick of a button!

    ReplyDelete