Thursday, April 9, 2015

Waffling

Brilliant weather at the moment. Four days of sunshine without a cloud in the sky. Pretty hot too. It all comes after a long, dull, grey, chilly spell so the village washing lines are full of clothing, bedding and towelly stuff all flapping under a hot sun. Neighbour Collette was first out with the pegs at crack of dawn when the sun arrived. She's always hot off the marks with her washing. We, on the other hand, are slow to get the suds going, so quite often the sun's clouded over or gone down by the time we emerge from the house with our soggy washing. Er, when I say 'we' I actually mean Georgie. And one of the drawbacks of being a bit too late to get hanging in the sun is that one ends up with a basket or two of soggy washing that slowly gets a bit mildewy while waiting for the next blast of sunshine that inevitably takes weeks to arrive. Er, I'm waffling.

Anyways..., yes, big sunshine recently. Daffodils sprouting up all over le magasin. Standing to attention and facing south, basking in the sun's rays. And not only daffodils. Up t'other end of the village there's a house with millions of narcissises..., narcissisae..., er, small daffodils. Well, when I say 'house' I actually mean 'garden'. It's a bit odd though. The house faces east while most of the houses up this way sort of face south. Or, if they're on the opposite side of the road and face north, their backs face south. Personally, I prefer a west facing plot so you get the sun in the soirée. But, as I said, that house faces east so it gets the morning sun but it's in the shadow of a bank in the evening. Not good for enjoying a soirée aperitif or deux. Good view though in the morning sun. Er, I'm waffling again. Better stop.




More photos taken around 4pm when the light changed and the Narcissii really stood out...





8 comments:

  1. Lovely views.
    Being able to dry washing outdoors is one of my favourite things. Having to drape it all over the furniture when it rains is one of my most hated things, as it gradually goes smelly. When I was a student I rented a spin dryer from Redifusion, that was an awfully long time ago but it made a big improvement to my life and was much more useful than a rented. Telly.
    Waffling again......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drying indoors is a pain. And stuff always ends up smelling of woodsmoke. Doesn't bother moi, but drives Georgie bonkeurs.

      Delete
  2. I remember driving through a village (somewhere near Aurillac, I think) which was awash with Narcissii. They were EVERYWHERE. We find that the wind dries just as much as sunshine; but a combination of both is best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't the foggiest idea how to spell Narcissii but now I know. And I presume a capital 'N' is correct. Learn summat new every day. Merci.

      Delete
  3. It is a simple pleasure to hang out the washing and not having it cluttering up the bathroom to dry, and better even more is the lack of questioning that my husband gives me about where the heck is his clean socks and underwear because the washing production line has become backstopped by wet weather! Nice to see a blog from you, and hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one problem with using the washing machine is that it fills up the fosse septique pdq unless it drains into an indoor bin where jugfulls can be then be removed for watering plants..., as Georgie does. All very technical this washing malarky.

      Delete
    2. I've naughtily redirected the spent water from washing machine and kitchen sink away from the fosse. It now waters a Leyandii hedge.

      Delete
  4. "Washing malarky" indeed...Georgie seems to have it all covered while you just observe...Tommo shame on you.
    But I love seeing a post from you, so I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete